Thursday, July 30, 2009

Trier

Yesterday i went out on my own in the city of Trier. I was a bit nervous since I don't speak a word of German. We worked it out so I didn't have to take the bus, it was quite a concern at the time :)
I think the day went pretty well considering I don't speak a word of German (well technically I guess I speak about 10 german words, but Shisser and Hallo will only get you so far) and I do not have an internal map.
The biggest incident of the day was when I bought a cup of coffee at the McDonalds. I got to the city at 9, but most everything didn't open till 10 so I thought I would get a cup of coffee while I waited. I ordered a coffee with milk and went over to the area at the counter with sugar and stir sticks. There were 3 choices: a brown package which I thought was sugar on the raw, a pack with little tablets of nutrasweet which I had seen at my friends house, and a white packet with regular sugar. I grabbed a packet of the regular sugar, or so I thought. Because after mixing it into my coffee (but before drinking it), the lady at the counter came over and told me I had just put salt in my coffee, oops!
The rest of the day was nice, exploring all of the Roman ruins of Trier (the city is I think the second oldest city in Europe, next to Rome), then going to an authentic Fribad (public swimming pool) in the afternoon.

1 comment:

dianehubler said...

Well - this reminds me of the time that dad put floral preservative in his coffee (Washington DC) - it must be in the genes.