Monday, July 13, 2009

Morrocco


What can I say..... I went to Morrocco. I learned what it is like to be on a tourist bus. I learned that I do not like to go on tourist bus trips. I really enjoyed our short trip to the city of Chefchauan. The people of the city of Chefchauan are friendly, peaceful and kind. The city is of Chefchauan is absolutely beautiful (the picture is a small example of the whole city), the whole city is painted with white and blue and the feeling of life there is relax and simple. Our local guides for the 2 days were very interesting, one went with us to Tetouan and Tangier; and the other to Chefchauan. They were both interesting in their own way, and were pretty opposite of each other. The first guy had kind of a flirtatous personality-- he said that he has 3 wives, and that the rule in morrocco is that 4 is the max and he wanted to find his 4th on our bus. He also liked to talk about ´making babies´ and the virility of muslim men. The second guide on sunday was the opposite-- very serious, very loud, and very proud of his coutry and city. I liked him better. :) I think it also helped that the second city was a bit more modern in its customs-- the men only married one woman, the women didnt marry until 18 (instead of 14), and the way that the guide explained life it seem that women were more valued and equal to men. I have to say that though the people and city of Chefchauan were beautiful, I left on Sunday happy to have the freedoms that I as a woman, and looking forward to a beer and coffee in Spain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, that's awesome that you went to Chefchauen! That's probably one of my favorite places in the world :). It'll be great to hear about all your adventures. Until you come to Germany.... take care,... bonn