Tuesday, April 08, 2008

my next career

It's decided. Once I am finished with this whole Speech Pathology thing, I am going to be a surgeon. That's right, a surgeon.
Last week I had a great opportunity to go with a group of surgeons and SLPs over to Mexicali for a cranio-facial clinic. It was a crazy whirlwind two days. We were greeted with a large group of residents waiting for us at the Red Cross clinic down there. There were kids with needs that we don't see that late in their development. I saw quite a few cleft palate and cleft lip, fistulas, and other non-facial anomalies. The crazy part of it all is that we started our day with assessments of oral structure and function, and the kids were scheduled for surgery for that day or the next!
The best part of the trip was when I got to sit in on part of a surgery for a cleft palate. That's where the new profession comes in. I thought I would be queasy, but was the exact opposite-- I didn't want to leave, it was so interesting.
The only problem with this new career in the future is all the schooling. Maybe if I start a collection now, I can raise the money I need to get through 6 more years of school. I would be really good in that operating room, I just know it. No really, I would!

1 comment:

irene said...

GREAT IDEA! I support you!