Thursday, September 14, 2006

I'm a student!

King said to me the other day, in the most amused tone "You're a student again."
And it feels good to be back.
It's third week already in my program at CSULB. For those catching up, I am in a MA program for Speech Pathology. I have a year of prerequisites to take (undergrad upper div), so it is going to be at least 3 years till I am done. Most people go this route though, because it is such a specified field, not too many choose to get an undergrad degree. So this means that I have a good group of people going through all of this with me. My group is all female; I think out of the 50+ students in the department there are 3 guys. It's really unfortunate, because I think certain clients would do really well if they had a male clinician, but there just aren't too many in the field for that to happen much. On a tangent, last night at the clinic the director commented that the clients are doing better with clinicians using the same language (instead of a translator) or of the same sex. It makes sense-- there is a connection there.
As I said- I went to my first clinic observation last night. It was great! It wasn't the first time I had been at a speech session, far from that. But it stood out more than the others. I think I just love the controlled setting that a University affords in their clinics-- specific clientele, great supervision, high value put on data driven/empirically sound practices. I am again reminded how much I appreciate research and empirically supported practices that come from it.
On a side note, I have become the very talkative, lots of questions girl in class. Alittle surprising, not really. I guess I just forgot about that part of me when I was in those large lectures or intimidating small classes at UCSD. Other people have said that my questions are helpful, but I think I might quiet down.....a bit.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Yay I'm so glad that the transition back to school is going well!

P.S. I think you will enjoy my most recent blog...check it out

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's going well and you are doing what you want to be doing! Yay! (Also, it was good to see you at the Nike race!)

-Lisa