Monday, July 31, 2006

the hills are alive!

with the sound of muuuuuuuusic.

Ah- just got back from the stage performance at the Hollywood Bowl, and I am wired. It was none of that sing along movie stuff. Just the real thing.

Something has been bothering me though. I feel a bit ashamed of my generation. All the buzz of the youngsters around me was 'hey did you know that Captain von Trapp is played by the dad on Smallville' and 'hey the Liesl character is the girl from Desperate Housewives- Terri Hatcher's daughter.'

Nothing was said (except by the conductor) about the 4 time Emmy winning Marni Nixon (who played the head nun), who was the female lead singing voice in such classic films as The King and I, An Affair to Remember, and My Fair Lady. Not to mention that Captain von Trapp (John Schneider) starred in the original TV Dukes of Hazzard, a TV icon that will last far longer than Smallville.

Is my generation (and more so, those younger than me) so obsessed with pop culture that we fail to recognize industry greats when they are right in front of us? Maybe it's because I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's today for the first time, and have a invigorated appreciation for the classics (except for that strong distaste for their racism), not to mention a love of everything Audrey. (and now I want to watch all of those classic movies I always hear about if anyone is interested or has any suggestions, the ones above are definitely on the list)

I am almost too ashamed to admit though, that through most of the movie I was tracking how Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City was partly modeled after Holly Golightly. And the only way I know that the movie greatly deviates from the book, and even that the book is written by the great American writer Truman Capote, is from a Seinfeld episode.....I'm as bad as the rest of them. Although I will say that I think both Sex and the City and Seinfeld are going to stand the test of time and dare I say be considered classics in their own right.

On a tangent, below is one of my favorite Slim Aarons' photographs:
Capote at Home

No comments: